Right after our Autumn Exhibition last September, we were told that we will have one day pottery class on the first week of October. We were also told to think of the design we want to make for our vases. One of the ladies in our class gave us some ideas as to what shapes and colors were usually used in their pottery class. Despite all the pointers we got and some samples, it was difficult for me to come up with my design.
October 6, 2015. The D-day for our pottery class. Confession: I was so clueless still of what I will make. Some members of the potter class came to help us. But still, my brain is not communicating with my hands 🙁 After a few minutes of looking at other people’s work, I finally got a grip of myself. Instead of being conscious whether I am doing it correctly or totally messing up, I was able to refocus and told myself to play with the clay. Little by little, I was able to make a decent form out of my kneaded clay. And all my efforts paid off when I saw my not-so-finished vase. With some clay left, I tried to make a mini version of the vase which I wanted to do. I made a vase that would look like piles of stones with a small rose next to it. I was not able to do a bigger version beforehand because they said that there might be a problem when drying it. Happy with my creations, we stored that vases on the shelves to dry for several weeks.
Last week after our regular lkebana class, we were asked to stay a little longer to paint our vases. We first applied a blue paint on the bottom of the vases. This would later on turn white after putting in the oven. The blue paint also helped us control the color pigments from touching the bottom part of the vase. After a few minutes, we then applied the colors we want for our vases. Since I do not have a yellow vase, I chose the chrome yellow paint. As for my small vase, I chose olive green and light brown for the vase and for the rose, I chose white and light green. The vases were then put in the kiln for baking.
When we came to class yesterday, our vases were already dry and ready to use! I was so happy when I saw mine because they turned out beautiful.
Earlier this morning, I tried to use my new vases. For the big one, I made a traditional Ikebana arrangement using Freesias. I also used a traditional technique called Hagumi. The sheath or the white covering of the Fressia’s root is removed to deconstruct the leaves and the flower. Then these parts are rearranged again while paying attention to the height difference of the flower stem and the leaves. Since it is not yet spring, the leaves are taller than the flowers.
As for the small vase, I added a dark pink Gerbera with some white Baby’s Breath and Freesia leaves to complement the colors of the vase.